Logged in as Guest | You are in group "Guests" | Friday, 2024-03-29, 4:12 PM RSS Main | newbie needs help with installation of Phase 3 mod... - Forum | Registration | Login

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]

• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: VPf2  
Forum » Codename PANZERS Phase 3 (Mod) » Technical Support » newbie needs help with installation of Phase 3 mod...
newbie needs help with installation of Phase 3 mod...
Saturday, 2012-07-14, 1:26 PM

Message # 1

malone

Sergeant
User

hello folks
i have just registered, after only discovering this site a few days ago.
this is just what i have been looking for, after having played the original panzers 1 and 2 quite some time ago, and it's still one of my favorites!
i initially tried to ask my questions via the 'contact us' option, and my first question went through without a hitch, but the second question, for whatever reason, just refuses to accept the security code.
even though i tried many times, with the correct code, it simply keeps saying 'incorrect security code'....
oh well, i couldn't sit trying to argue with a bot all day, lo, so i decided to register and ask my questions here to an audience of real people, lol
okay, i'll fire them off here in hopefully the right order.
Question 1: when installing Phase 3 mod, it consists of two parts.
after installing part 1, part 2 then asks to be installed into the same folder as part 1.
this isn't very clear to me...must it be installed into the Panzers 2 folder, as per part 1, or must it be installed into the newly created CP3 folder inside the Panzers 2 folder?
that was the first question - okay, i went ahead and installed part 2 into the same directory as prt 1, anyway, so that inside my Panzers 2 folder, i now have 3 new folders:
CP3-Cherburg, CP3-Main and CP3-RFB, inside the game root.
i also went ahead and installed the update 2.1 and the new 2.11.
however, when i try and run CP3 from the desktop icon, i get the error message ''Unable to locate component....this application has failed to start because binkw32.dll was not found'
is this error due to my possibly incorrect installation, or is it something unrelated?
i guess that was question2, so my last question, then, was concerning the 2.1 patch, which asks initially to be installed into Panzers Phase 3.
should this patchthen be installed into the Panzers 2 root, or into one of the new CP3 folders, CP3-Main, maybe?
this step is a bit unclear to me. anyway, as i say, i went ahead and installed it into the game root.
maybe that was wrong? i
i also then installed the latest 2.11 patch, which was seemingly a simple overwrite - don't think i went wrong there...?
anyway, so the main problem is this 'binkw32.dll' error message, which robs me of the opportunity to play this great-looking mod.
i now have two shortcuts on my desktop, the regular Cp2 one, and the new CP3 one.
the CP2 shortcut works fine, the stock game loads and plays fine.
the CP3 shortcut gives me the afore-mentioned error message.
any advice to help get me on the right track, will be very much appreciated.
thanks in advance for any assistance. cool

Saturday, 2012-07-14, 3:44 PM

Message # 2

Macer

Lieutenant general
Veteran User

You have the file here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?binkw32 . Put it into C:\Windows\system32 .

Saturday, 2012-07-14, 6:25 PM

Message # 3

malone

Sergeant
User

just a little update -
while waiting for some advice, i went ahead and placed the binkw32.dll file that was in the Panzers 2/Run directory, into the root directory, and tried it.
it now complains about a missing mss32.dll missing.
i then went and tried putting the mss32.dll from the same Panzers 2/Run directory into the Panzers root directory.
now, it complains about being unable to locate a Keys0.ini file, which i haven't been able to locate.
sounds more and more to me like i botched the install somewhere along the way.
any advice welcomed at this point....

@ Macer, sorry, yes, i have the bink32.dll in my Windows/System32 folder, from the start.
my game is installed on another drive, not my system drive - maybe this is the cause?
so, i currently have a binkw32.dll in Win/System32 as well as one that installed with the game, sitting in Panzers 2/Run direcotry.
it was this one that i copied to the Panzers 2 root directory, and at this point the game is now lookng for the mss32.dll file, and then the keys0.ini file...

Added (2012-07-14, 6:25 PM)
---------------------------------------------
if it'd help to make things easier to understand, i could maybe post a screenshot of what my folder looks like...?
will that help?
can i post screenies in my thread?

Message edited by malone - Saturday, 2012-07-14, 4:13 PM

Saturday, 2012-07-14, 8:09 PM

Message # 4

Macer

Lieutenant general
Veteran User

Maybe you should try reinstalling the game, or you can just download the .dlls step by step, if you are patient enough. Yeah, I think a screenshot of your folder should clear things up a bit. Partitions don't matter, but it's possible that the game requires the file in its own folder.
That's interesting, I've copied the game many times to another computers or a fresh system without installation and never had such problems tongue

Sunday, 2012-07-15, 5:59 PM

Message # 5

malone

Sergeant
User

okay thanks, i'll try a few other install options and see what i can accomplish.
i'll let you know either way how it goes.
thanks for the assist biggrin

oops! forgot about the screenie for now, having a bit of a social evening, so i'll paste it in tomorrow sometime. cheers cool

Added (2012-07-15, 5:59 PM)
---------------------------------------------
update as promised ....
indeed, in true over-anxious noobie style, i missed the bit of the install procedure that was staring me in the face, stating that if my game has a 'Run' folder, it must be installed in there.
totally oblivious to this, i went and installed the mod into the game root, sitting outside of the Run folder, so of course i had all the problems.
after starting over, using the tried 'n tested RTFM method, i seem to have it installed properly, and am about to start with my first mission.
thanks again for the responses, and of course, a BIG THANKS to each and every person involved in what seems to have been a pretty mammoth undertaking, and allowing me the great joy of enjoying this great game all over again, in all its modded glory!
thanks folks, you all rock, truly cool

btw, i am also a senior admin for a WW2 flight sim mod site, where we mod the IL-2 Sturmovik simulator.
if anyone ever feels they want to trade in the mud and dirt for sunshine and clouds, feel free to drop in at our site and check it out. the site is sas1946.com (special aircraft service) and we welcome all WW2 aerial combat fans to join in the fun.
right, i'm off to go get my tracks full of mud 'n guts.
cheers all! biggrin

Message edited by malone - Saturday, 2012-07-14, 11:06 PM

Forum » Codename PANZERS Phase 3 (Mod) » Technical Support » newbie needs help with installation of Phase 3 mod...
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright VPf2 Designs © 2024